Take the 2-minute tour ×
Biology Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for biology researchers, academics, and students. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Let's say I have a picture of an insect wing and a ruler on the same image. Is there any computer program that I can use to calibrate with the ruler and then get a measurement on the wing length? Would the software be able to export these data to a spreadsheet?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

ImageJ is all you need. Particularly see the documentation sections on setting the image scale and measuring.

share|improve this answer
This is great! Thanks! It even continues to add values from new images into the table. Awesome! –  Atticus29 Sep 11 '13 at 17:57
see also Fiji for a distribution of ImageJ with more plug-ins –  Michael Kuhn Sep 12 '13 at 11:28

WebPlotDigitizer is an online application that can also be used to make distance and angle measurements in an image.

share|improve this answer
Looks interesting. I will try it at the next chance. –  Chris Jun 24 '14 at 10:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.