I generally don't care for female perfume. I have very sensitive olfactory receptors and in general, I just find perfume overwhelming.
A couple weeks ago, my wife of almost 14 years and I were shopping. As has happened many times before, she asked me to smell a perfume (Play it Rock by Playboy) to see if I liked it. Shockingly, on first whiff, though still overwhelming, I quite liked it. So she bought it.
Now, when she wears it, I do find the aroma pleasing, however I find myself getting quite agitated, depressed and even overcome with jealousy and paranoia.
Obviously, there are lots of psychological factors in play :
- Perfume's primary purpose is to arouse and attract men
- She almost only uses it when there are going to be other men around
- It is playboy, subtly indicating the promotion of promiscuity
However my internal reactions are so intense I can't help but conclude there something more physiological triggering/intensifying them.
- Could the perfume's pheromones be slightly misformulated to cause this reaction?
- Would the same pheromones that arouse a man also inherently trigger the fear of the arousal of others?
- Is it possible that my pheromone "sense" is also heightened like my sense of smell, causing an abnormal reaction specifically in me?
Note : I can't find official documentation that the playboy perfumes apply pheromonology (Yes, I did just make up that word), but I have found them listed by other sources in sections of perfumes that do, but Playboy perfumes seem to be priced drastically less than the rest of the pheromoned perfumes.