As the definition of biological age is very ambiguous, I propose that to generate an algorithm, you first need to create a quantifiable definition. I submit:
Biological age is a measure indicating what portion of one's calculated life expectancy is already expended, adjusted proportionately for the average life expectancy of their major demographic.
Wow, that's a mouthful! So, let's break it down.
Life expectancy is calculated :
- Ascertain a person's major demographic (Geographic residence, Race, Gender and Generation).
- Find the average life span of that demographic.
- This is negligibly speculative as a living person's Generation has not yet fully perished
- Statistical outliers, such as infant mortality, are generally excluded from this calculation
- Adjust for known major factors that have accepted statistical impact.
- Current medical conditions
- medical history
Average Life expectancy of subject's demographic was calculated in #2 above.
So, now let's throw in some sample numbers.
Statistical Facts: (totally made up)
- Caucasian males living in the France, born in the 1970s have an average life span of 72 years.
- Exercising 30 minutes or more daily increases life expectancy 6 years
- Smoking decreases life expectancy 7 years
- Not smoking increases life expectancy 2 years
Hold on a second?! Wouldn't not smoking already be accounted for in the "Smoking..." section? Well, no, because our demographic sample are all "unknown" so having specific knowledge would statistically change the results in either direction
- Heart Disease decreases life expectancy 8 years
- Devout religious affiliation increases life expectancy 6 years.
- Family history of diabetes decreases life expectancy 2 years.
Two subjects both Caucasian, french males born in 1974 (40 years old chronologically):
Their mom's actually shared a labor and delivery room!
- Beavis - known: Smoker with heart disease.
Butthead - known: Devout Buddhist, very athletic, non smoker with a family history of diabetes
Beavis' life expectancy is 57 (72-7-8)
Butthead's life expectancy is 84 (72+6+2+6-2)
Beavis has expended 70.2% (40/57) of his life expectancy
Butthead has expended 47.6% (40/84) of his life expectancy
Despite sharing a birthday:
Bevis' biological age is 50.5 years (.702*72)
Butthead's biological age is 34.3 years (.476*72)
Note: It's almost 6 hours past my bedtime, so please excuse any stupid mistakes or miscalculations. The general concepts are what is important