I'm not sure if this is a biology or chemistry question since I don't know the cause of it (though I think it is bacteria or fungal related). I'm just wondering what creates that awful odor when a container (fresh from the dish washer) gets closed before it has dried completely.
Also, if the answer is related to bacteria and/or fungus, then why does the odor not occur if the container is left open to dry? Why does air flow and level of dryness change this? And, more importantly, what is the bacteria or fungus doing that is creating the odor?