Take the 2-minute tour ×
Biology Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for biology researchers, academics, and students. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am interested in a gene which is null lethal but I need to temporary induce diminished capacity. If a cell is homozygous is it possible to induce heterozygous phenotypes or a partial knockout from WT with siRNA or other molecular methods without virus vectors? I'm not interested in a medillian solution but an inducible molecular way. Thank you

I would like to generate a heterozygous Sod2+/- like they do in this paper in mice and possibly human: http://physiolgenomics.physiology.org/content/16/1/29.full.pdf+html

share|improve this question
It would help if you gave more information about the system that you are working with - what type of cells? –  Alan Boyd Nov 2 '12 at 7:04
@AlanBoyd im interested in mice and humans and i added the gene of interest as well. –  caseyr547 Nov 2 '12 at 7:16
The tetracycline-regulated systems developed by Clontech would allow you to do something like this - the level of gene expression can be titrated by varying the concentration of tetracycline/doxycycline in the growth medium. See clontech.com/GB/Products/Inducible_Systems/… for links to more details - the early generation products might be a good place to start reading. –  Alan Boyd Nov 2 '12 at 18:23
@AlanBoyd my growth\life medium would prohibit the use of tetracycline but thanks for using the key word titrated –  caseyr547 Nov 3 '12 at 0:10
what medium is this? –  Alan Boyd Nov 3 '12 at 7:01

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Antisense, promoter replacement and when possible tetracycline allows one to titrate of gene expression http://www.springerprotocols.com/Abstract/doi/10.1007/978-1-59745-321-9_20#

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.