Take the 2-minute tour ×
Biology Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for biology researchers, academics, and students. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found this question and I wonder if it is asking some general name where both T3 and T4 have an effect.

I cannot find any such single name.

Is there any single name of tissues that are affected by thyroid hormones?

share|improve this question
@nico Your change suggests me that there is no general name for those tissues affected. I found this sentence: "There does not seem to be - - tissues not affected by thyroid hormone". So Cardiovascular system, Central Nervous system and Reproductive system are affected. - vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/thyroid/… –  Masi Dec 18 '12 at 15:12
I was merely changing the English, as the verb "affect" is not used as in the original question. However, I do not think there is a general name, but I may be wrong on that one. –  nico Dec 18 '12 at 17:42
Yes, there is a name. It's called the human body ;). In all seriousness, the effects of the thyroid hormones are so pervasive that you might as well assume that if a tissue is in the body, it is affected by T3/T4. –  Chinmay Kanchi May 24 '13 at 18:22
Not only is Chinmay Kanchi correct but you can extend that to all vertebrates. Thyroid hormones (primarily T4 and T3) are also found in some invertebrates though they may appear to have different functionality them. The critical issue in humans is the existence of thyroid hormone receptors within cells. –  user3908 Jun 30 '13 at 13:16
Would "T3/T4 sensitive tissues" work? –  kmm Sep 28 '13 at 16:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.