Take the 2-minute tour ×
Biology Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for biology researchers, academics, and students. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am looking for an alloy with low melting temperature (< 350°C) which is not toxic when in direct constant contact with skin, food and overall in domestic environment. My application is a solder that can be used for soldering a ring.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

I'm not a metallurgist, which you should probably ask... but there is this that I found:

Low Melting Fusible Alloys

Both Cadmium and Lead are toxic, but Bismuth, Indium, and Tin are not. An alloy of those might be what you're looking for. Indium raises the price-point considerably, as it's a few magnitudes more expensive than Bismuth and Tin.

share|improve this answer
    
Metallurgist will most probably tell that toxicity is for biologist or toxicologist and there is no stackexchange for metallurgist yet –  tig Aug 3 '13 at 11:09
1  
Rather than a metallurgist I would probably ask a jeweler... they should definitely know what they are allowed to use. –  nico Aug 3 '13 at 13:09
    
@nico: just tried contacting jewelers, though not sure if they use low melting point alloys –  tig Aug 4 '13 at 13:45
    
@tig: right, did not think about that –  nico Aug 4 '13 at 20:43
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.