Tag Info

New answers tagged


As dd3 said the density of mechanoreceptors dictates skin sensitivity to touch (also look at penfield map. It is a nice illustration of how different senses are mapped to the brain and to what extent each region is sensitive to stimulus). Skin thickness is also different in different regions. This article says that Dikkopf1 (a Wnt pathway antagonist) ...


Pigmentation in most animals which is between black, brown, red, yellow and which is made up by the mixture of two pigments: Eumelanin (yellow to red) and Pheomelanin (black to brown). The ratio between these two makes a color. These are pigmental colors which are made by a special kind of cells in the skin, in mammals they are called melanocytes (and I will ...

Top 50 recent answers are included