Whenever I receive small electric charges (most often by, e.g. touching the jack of a plugged in charging cable, or the casing of a charging Apple device), I experience a very distinctive taste in my mouth.
I'm relatively certain that the taste is what is termed "a metallic taste", and some brief googling suggests that this is a common experience when receiving an electric shock.
What is going on, biochemically, in this experience?
FWIW, it's the same sensory experience that I associate with a sudden physical danger shock, such as times when I've been standing on a branch that then broke (I was holding another branch, so was fine, but had a huge fear/adrenaline rush, plus that same metallic taste). Are they linked experiences at all?