Even though I ID a lot on this site, I'm rather unqualified to ID mushrooms (even with the help of sites like urbanmushrooms.com).
Can anyone help me ID this mushroom species?
- Morphology: convex cap; gills possibly free, adnexed, or sinuate (I really can't tell!); stem is equal or slightly club-shaped
- Color: Brown cap; white gills; white/brown stalk
- Size: 1.5-2.5 inches tall; cap 0.25-1 inch diameter
- Other sensory: cap texture is smooth/waxy similar to white button mushroom one buys in a grocery store; smell is minimal but perhaps slightly musty?
- Location: Eastern Ohio (Ohio Valley, about 10 miles West of the Ohio River)
- Habitat: growing in recently moist (though almost dry) grass near (but not on) a rotting stump. Violets, clovers, and other herby weeds also growing in lawn nearby.
- Timing: Mid July; found on a sunny day after a week of on-and-off rain
More photos (click to enlarge):