Let's say I have a picture of an insect wing and a ruler on the same image. Is there any computer program that I can use to calibrate with the ruler and then get a measurement on the wing length? Would the software be able to export these data to a spreadsheet?


closed as off-topic by dustin, March Ho, Nandor Poka, Rory M Apr 20 '15 at 22:11

  • This question does not appear to be about biology within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this question is about software not Biology. $\endgroup$ – dustin Apr 20 '15 at 20:43

ImageJ is all you need. Particularly see the documentation sections on setting the image scale and measuring.

  • $\begingroup$ This is great! Thanks! It even continues to add values from new images into the table. Awesome! $\endgroup$ – Atticus29 Sep 11 '13 at 17:57
  • $\begingroup$ see also Fiji for a distribution of ImageJ with more plug-ins $\endgroup$ – Michael Kuhn Sep 12 '13 at 11:28

WebPlotDigitizer is an online application that can also be used to make distance and angle measurements in an image.

  • $\begingroup$ Looks interesting. I will try it at the next chance. $\endgroup$ – Chris Jun 24 '14 at 10:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.