This bug came out of a hole in a wood table.

I'm in south-west France but since we bought that table one year ago, it was most probably in the table when we bought it so it could be from anywhere.

I'd like to know what it is.

Bug Hole

More context and pictures in https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/232607/holes-in-wood-furniture-identifying-the-cause.


I'm not an entomologist at all, or even in Europe, so take my answer with a grain of salt.

I think this is a beetle of the long-horn beetles, which are all beetles that have a larval stage that borrow in wood. In particular I think this is in the genus Clytus and may be Clytus arietis, which is quite common in Europe and North America. There are other species in the genus that look pretty similar too (e.g. C. rhamni, so I can't be sure).

C. arietis is pretty small - about 10-18 mm, which looks about right for your hole size, and it has very similar patterns on its elytra. It is also hairy, as yours is. Apparently it is called the "wasp beetle" as it is a Batesian mimic, and may even make a buzzing noise when disturbed.

  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. The Clytus aeietis is much more yellow but the patterns totally match, so I believe it is definitely from the same family. $\endgroup$
    – Jérôme
    Sep 6 at 19:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.