I have lost track of this term. I am sure that I encountered a Latin word (not a taxonomic word) which applies to all animals which dust bathe.

I fact, I am not even sure how to describe a word like this, cutting across species.

  • $\begingroup$ There are some words like pulverulent (adj.), Pulveratores (n.), pulveratrix (n.) (based on Latin pulver- , pulvis meaning dust, sand, pulver) but OED gives them as obsolete and rare. They are ornithology terms to define birds that use dust bathing as a means of feather maintenance. $\endgroup$
    – ermanen
    Commented Jun 27, 2023 at 22:39
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks, that must have been the word I saw, I think. $\endgroup$
    – Theo H
    Commented Jun 28, 2023 at 15:34


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .