I ran a pilot study to determine the probability of detecting a rare African small carnivore using scat (feces) detection dog surveys to assist with future population monitoring and occupancy surveys. A primary objective is to determine the search effort (in kms traveled with sniffer dog) needed to have a 95% probability of detection. I trained two dogs over two seasons and tested the method on a telemetry monitoring site and all surveys were within known home-ranges from four collared animals (true site occupancy is known). Rectangular walking transects ranged from 1.6 to 3.2 kms in length. We recorded distance from start of transect to each scat found. We found 112 scats ranging from 0-5 per transect. Species ID was confirmed through DNA barcoding, I intended on doing individual ID, but could not get lab funding, thus only have species detections. I am a field biologist and it has been quite a few years since my MSc. I am struggling to find examples that are similar to my data structure and aims for guidance. Resources for direction or suggestions for data structure and programs/packages would be useful.