What is the word for a small (under 50 bp) SV? Perhaps it is MNV (multi-nucleotide variant)? Something like microindel? I do not like SNV as "single nucleotide" is not really correct and I want a indel-specific term.

SV = structural variant

bp = base pairs

SNV = single nucleotide variant

indel = insertion or deletion

  • $\begingroup$ @JiminyCricket. Yes, done $\endgroup$
    – BigMistake
    Feb 26 at 16:48

1 Answer 1


One can clearly find instances of "microindel" in the literature. However it does not seem to be very common.

"Small indel" appears to be the preferred term, noted here:

Typically, small indels are termed for insertions/deletions of shorter than 50 bps while longer ones are considered as structural variants (SVs) [2, 3].

For example, DeepVariant uses this term.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .