Is there a word that describes the meeting point of a plants growing stem and its root? Is this the same term for aerial roots above soil level?


From Basconsuelo et al 2002:

"The zone of the plant axis where the arrangement of vascular systems changes from root- to stem-structure is often called “transition region”" (see also the refs they cite).

The idea behind it is that the organization of the vascular tissues is radically different in the root in comparison to the stem, such that the switch cannot occur in one point. This transition region (in general case) crosses the air-ground interface.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.