It's one of those names which are often said not to exist, like philtrum.


migrated from english.stackexchange.com Oct 4 '14 at 19:48

This question came from our site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts.

  • $\begingroup$ ELU deals with:— Word choice and usage; Grammar; Etymology (History of words’ development); Dialect differences; Pronunciation (phonetics and phonology, dialectology); Spelling and punctuation. Biology.SE actually have a [human-anatomy] tag. $\endgroup$ – Andrew Leach Oct 4 '14 at 19:48

"Inter-scapular space" is defined as the space between the scapulae. It was most likely created by doctors who had no name for the space. Yet another expansion of the English language by those who have need of a word or phrase to describe something that has no word or phrase already. I found no other definition.

  • $\begingroup$ They do have a word, I just can't remember it; that's why I defined it as inter-scapular space. $\endgroup$ – Michael Oct 4 '14 at 19:24
  • $\begingroup$ @Michael - actually, in surface anatomy, it's called the interscapular area (as you can see here. $\endgroup$ – anongoodnurse Oct 4 '14 at 19:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy