My girlfriend reacts heavily to chocolate and drinks containing stellar anise, in a way that seems comparable to psychedelic drugs.
After consuming it, it takes approximately five minutes for the reaction to become apparent.
Due to the heavy reaction, she tends to avoid these foods, however, we could observe the following effects:
- Heavy giggling, occasional outbursts of loud laughter;
- Much less frequent: Crying (just kind of starts from the giggling and subsequently fades back into giggling);
- Minor hallucinations (Sparkling hair, glowing faces);
- Loss of motor skills, especially balance;
- Feeling time pass much faster (to her, a 15 minute episode felt like 1-2 minutes, an hour like 5-10 minutes);
- Some memory loss (probably related to the time perception?);
- Unfocused mind;
Her speech remains clear and articulate.
Observations are anecdotal, as I only observed two episodes, and we realized what happened only after the first.
Apparently, around 1-3% of humans react in some way. However I couldn't find any detailed explanations of the hows and whys, nor any actual research.
I am very curious about this. Is it dangerous? Are there any related effects (genetic disorders, maybe?). All explanations, and hints how to google better, are welcome.