4
$\begingroup$

I made lemon juice 6 month ago.

  • I just washed the lemon using brush and then cut them into pieces.
  • Then I put one layer of lemon in the bottle followed by one layer of sugar
  • Again one layer of lemon and one layer of sugar.
  • Then I close the bottle and put it in the refrigerator.

When I opened it, I observed some pink colored mold on the lemon slices.

Can anyone can identify the mold or tell me how to identify it?

PS: in the 6 months, I never opened the bottle. The bottle was clean and I did not add water; just lemon and sugar.

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

$\endgroup$

closed as too broad by Chris, WYSIWYG, AliceD, Bez, user137 Nov 18 '14 at 16:26

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Whatever it is, I would not consume the lemon juice. The chances of toxins being present are just too high. $\endgroup$ – MattDMo Oct 27 '14 at 15:09
  • $\begingroup$ It can be Neurospora crassa....cause the fungus is pink, can live in anaerobic conditions, & can survive on carbohydrates, like sugar...but it's only a wild guess.... The pickle in your case got spoiled because it got in contact with water, only a few drops, but enough to cause those scattered microbial infections... $\endgroup$ – souvik bhattacharya Nov 18 '14 at 5:40
  • $\begingroup$ The S.E is gradually becoming a "Show & Tell"-site...somebody or the other is watching a vid or a pic or something weird in their kitchens...& thinking " Let's-just-post-it-in-BiologyS.E-&-ask-for-an-answer".... $\endgroup$ – souvik bhattacharya Nov 18 '14 at 7:29
  • $\begingroup$ Additional details are necessary to answer this question. Can you please provide them? $\endgroup$ – WYSIWYG Nov 18 '14 at 8:31
  • $\begingroup$ I would say that it is very hard to impossible to identify a mold simply by photos. There are a number of different molds that can grow under the actual conditions. $\endgroup$ – Chris Nov 18 '14 at 11:11
-1
$\begingroup$

I checked citrus diseases on wikipedia, then "ctrl+f" and typed in "pink mold". The result was Gliocladium roseum which is really a pink mold, but it is hard to find any image of it, where it is on fruits... So this is just a guess. Btw. I think it is rarely possible to identify microorganisms just by checking an image of them.

$\endgroup$
  • $\begingroup$ citrus disease refers to mainly diseases on live citrus trees or fruits still on trees...the q is talking about a dead, refrigerated citrus... $\endgroup$ – souvik bhattacharya Nov 18 '14 at 5:39
  • $\begingroup$ @souvikbhattacharya "It colonizes living plants as an endophyte, digests material in soil as a saprophyte and is also known as a parasite of other fungi and of nematodes." - according to wikipedia. So I think it can survive on a dead lemon as well and likes anaerob conditions. Before cutting into slices the lemon was pretty alive (like every other fruit). The freezing not necessary kills microbes. Btw. I think it is impossible to find out what it is without laboratory tests... $\endgroup$ – inf3rno Nov 18 '14 at 6:33
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If the mold was already there before pickling it...then why pickle it in the 1st place???....neway the q is pretty frustrating...why don't she try it out to find what actually it is,"great 1st hand experience"..;) $\endgroup$ – souvik bhattacharya Nov 18 '14 at 8:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.