1
$\begingroup$

I'm frequently getting electric shocks in my office when touching things. I basically know why this happens and how to avoid it.

Still I started to wonder what would be the best way to touch something if you knew you will be shocked. I know that fingertips have more nerve endings but I guess they also have more callus. What are factors for sensitivity to electric shock and what part of the hand is therefore the least unpleasant to be shocked?

$\endgroup$
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Practical advice: Take a metal thing (pen, key, etc.) in your hand and ground yourself over it. Then the current will flow through the metal and not hurt you. $\endgroup$ – Chris Jan 20 '15 at 14:50
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I've built a lot of electric fence in my youth. If you MUST touch an electric fence, use the back of your hand, so if you get shocked you'll pull away instead of grab on. Also, a leather wallet makes a decent insulator to push down on a wire so you can step over. To this day I can't touch a wire without testing it first even if I know it's cold. Don't know if these tips apply to your job, I haven't seen an office building with electric fence. $\endgroup$ – user137 Jan 20 '15 at 15:02
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @AndréStannek Can you put a humidifier in your office? The humidity will help dissipate static charges. $\endgroup$ – user137 Jan 20 '15 at 15:13
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The dorsum of your hand is less sensitive than the palmar surface. It's hard to touch or pick up things with the dorsum of your hand, though. $\endgroup$ – anongoodnurse Jan 20 '15 at 18:44
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I synced the title and body and made some additional changes to make the question more clear. Please feel free to roll back if it is not to your liking. $\endgroup$ – AliceD Jan 21 '15 at 0:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.