I am very new at this. I am wondering why fed batch cultures produce a lot of mycelia but no fruit. I thought the more mycelia you had, the greater chance of it forming a fruit body.

I am refering to this paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3768415/ but there are many others with the same methodology. It seems to oppose fruit body production to submerged cultures.

It seems to be submerged in water and in sugar.

It also seems you can have fruit bodies with a single mating type : - Coprinus sterquilinus (The Fungi by Sharma) - A bisporus and V volvacea (Chang Chiu)

  • $\begingroup$ Can you provide some more background to your question? What species are you working with, for what purpose, and exactly what do you mean with "submerged culture" (grown in water?)? In general, fungi produce fruit bodies (Sporocarps) after hapliod hyphae of different mating types have fused, and environmental conditions are also important. If your culture only includes one mating type/batch culture, this could be a reason why you do not see any fruit bodies. $\endgroup$ – fileunderwater Feb 10 '15 at 9:25
  • $\begingroup$ Do you have a reference on what those environmental conditions are ? $\endgroup$ – user1627466 Feb 10 '15 at 10:06
  • $\begingroup$ Can be all sorts of things, and depends completely on the species. Note that many species produce fruit bodies during a particular time of the year (in seasonal environments), which can give you some clue. Can you back up your last statement (fruit body from a single mating type)? $\endgroup$ – fileunderwater Feb 10 '15 at 10:11
  • $\begingroup$ I think it's a paper by Ohta but let me check $\endgroup$ – user1627466 Feb 10 '15 at 10:13
  • $\begingroup$ Great. It might occur, but should be an exception from what I know. Sex in fungi is complicated though, and not my area at all. $\endgroup$ – fileunderwater Feb 10 '15 at 10:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.