Blood is removed from meat before it is consumed. Below is, for example, how chickens are processed from Wikipedia.
- Removed from transport cages
- Hung by the legs on a shackle, mounted on a conveyor chain.
- Stunned using an electrically charged water bath
- Killed by cutting the blood vessels in the neck
- Bled so that most blood has left the carcass
- Scalded to soften the attachment of the feathers
- Plucked to remove the feathers
- Head removed
- Hock cutting to remove the feet
- Rehung in the evisceration room
- Gutted or eviscerated to remove the internal organs
- Washed to remove blood and soiling from the carcass
- Chilled to prevent bacterial spoiling
Why is the blood removed? Does it just simply taste bad? This might be a stupid question but being vegetarian, I may not know.