I'm sorry if "gene markers" is not the correct word. An edit could be appreciated but I don't study in an English speaking country unfortunately.

Question overview:

In a family, there is a genetic, dominant disease. The father and a son is sick. A gene marker analysis is performed with markers close to the assumed mutated gene on chromosome 11.

enter image description here

Marker D11S4088

enter image description here

Marker D11S1344

enter image description here

How do I read these and "What sort of markers are these"? I'm not sure what is going on here and I'm not sure what to search either due to language problems.


  • 1
    $\begingroup$ From what kind of experiment / machine etc do these graphs come from? $\endgroup$ Apr 22, 2015 at 15:41
  • $\begingroup$ I have no idea. It doesn't say unfortunately. Could be a chromatogram? $\endgroup$
    – Paze
    Apr 22, 2015 at 16:19
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @BjarniJóhannsson Those are not chromatograms from what I can see but rather a sort of counts per marker graph. "Genetic markers" is a better word. Do you know about linkage mapping? If not read this wiki and this post, it should help. $\endgroup$ Apr 22, 2015 at 16:35
  • $\begingroup$ I was thinking the same, or some sort of sequencing read coverage. I'm still not sure. $\endgroup$ Apr 22, 2015 at 20:40

1 Answer 1


Just googling, they are SSLPs. You do PCR, and the different alleles make different length amplicons. Looks like there is some kind of artifact that causes some of the amplicons to have peaks that look 2, or 4, or 6 letters shorter than the true length.

So for the top marker, the 211 bp long allele is linked to the disease, and for the other one, the 118 bp allele is linked to the disease.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .