I am looking for a convenient word to define a region of the landscape where the local carrying capacity (population size) for a given species is low but different from zero. The species is still present in this zone.

How would you call such area?

  • $\begingroup$ I hesitated to ask my question here or on ELL.SE. I asked my question here as I am hoping that there is a term in used in the literature. $\endgroup$ – Remi.b Aug 27 '15 at 18:36

If you ask about quantity/numbers only, I would suggest using "the zone of low population density" or "intermittent zone" which in turn borders the "buffer zone" and "the zone of intermediate/high population density".

The "buffer zone" is the zone between two different populations where the number of the animals in question is zero.

J.Potts, M.Lewis "How do animal territories form and change? Lessons from 20 years of mechanistic modelling"

There are other classifications based on the "main usage" of the territories.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you for your answer. Reading your answer I reazized my question was unclear. I meant a zone of low carrying capacity surrounded by zones of high carrying capacity. I edited my post. Your answer seemed very correct as one possible interpretation of my previously answered question. Sorry, my mistake. $\endgroup$ – Remi.b Aug 27 '15 at 21:07
  • $\begingroup$ @Remi.b IMHO, you should roll back to your original formulation and use ADD word (or UPD) before a new part of the question. I answered the original question, now you ask another question (which is obscure as well), so the answer looks not relevant... $\endgroup$ – Ilan Aug 28 '15 at 6:24
  • $\begingroup$ I rolled back to my previously unclear question. I'll open a new post (or just ask my colleagues) for the question I really wanted to ask. Thank you. +1 Btw, what does "ADD" and "UPD" mean? $\endgroup$ – Remi.b Aug 28 '15 at 13:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.