I've seen this brown beetle, which was about 2cm-3cm long (I guess) near Loch Lomond (Scottland) a few days ago.

enter image description here

What kind of beetle is it?


2 Answers 2


Honestly, that looks like a stink bug, family Pentatomidae.

You can see some slightly different coloured ones here on Insects of Scotland

Here is a photo of the one that I used to see in the States (From Master Gardening): Stink bug

  • $\begingroup$ More commonly referred to as shield bugs in the UK. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 5, 2015 at 14:35

It's not a beetle but a shield bug, probably a forest bug (Pentatoma rufipes): Wikipedia. The Collins Complete Guide to British Wildlife describes these as widespread in the UK, with adults seen from August to October.

Beetles are from the order Coleoptera, bugs ("true bugs", rather than the informal use of the term to mean, basically, any creepy-crawly) are Hemiptera. Beetles have two pairs of wings, but the front pair is hardened and acts like a shell and only the rear pair is used for flying. Bugs have either one or two pairs of wings. The front half of the forewings is usually hardened for protection, but the rear half is unhardened; if there's a second pair of wings, they're usually unhardened and all wings are used for flying.

  • $\begingroup$ In some insects one of the pairs of wings is modified into halteres. $\endgroup$
    Commented Sep 7, 2015 at 4:46
  • $\begingroup$ Pentatoma rufipes would be my suggestion as well, without knowing the Pentatomidae fauna of the british islands in particular. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 7, 2015 at 8:14
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @fileunderwater Good point. I added a reference attesting to them being common in the UK. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 7, 2015 at 8:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .