By just looking at Roach et al's paper I get the impression that they are the same thing, and the Wikipedia URL for the former is a redirect to the latter.

However, I suspect they are not exactly the same - for starters, they wouldn't have two different words for the same thing, right?

Can anybody shed some light and suggest some references?



1 Answer 1


Paired-end is the name of the sequencing approach.

Mates refer to the read pairs that correspond to the same insert, but sequenced from opposite directions.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.