I know of oxyhaemoglobin but the mixture of plasma and haemoglobin in the blood gives what?


closed as off-topic by anongoodnurse, AliceD, Chris Feb 18 '16 at 7:01

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Homework questions are off-topic on Biology unless you have shown your attempt at an answer. For more information see our homework policy." – AliceD, Chris
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


You and Dr. James must be friends ;)

There is no specific name for the mixture of plasma and haemoglobin, however, when hemoglobin is found in the plasma (i.e. not in blood cells) it is usually referred to as "free hemoglobin." This is a term you are most likely to encounter when dealing with plasma/ serum hemoglobin testing.

Additionally, when haemoglobin is broken down, it forms bilirubin, which contributes to the color of plasma (there is no specific name for the mixture of bilirubin and plasma either, except perhaps "plasma bilirubin").

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Hahaha, I noticed that too ;) (first line) $\endgroup$ – user19679 Feb 18 '16 at 22:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.