I see exposure limits for carbon monoxide like 50 ppm over 8 hours. This would correspond to a total inspired volume of carbon monoxide on the order of a few hundred milliliters. This exposure is supposed to be far from fatal, but I'm unsure how to think about extrapolating long term exposure limits to acute limits, thus my questions:
- What are the likely consequences if I breathed in the entire 200 ml of CO in a single breath, or even an entire lungful of pure CO?
- If the answers to the above end up being "you would die", is there a reasonable way to estimate the maximum volume you could acutely breath in?