0
$\begingroup$

As a reminder, maggots feed of a flesh, while fire salamander consumes his prey alive, without killing it. Can it happen that the maggot will start eating the salamander from the inside?

$\endgroup$

closed as off-topic by MattDMo, AliceD, James, kmm, rg255 Jul 21 '16 at 14:59

  • This question does not appear to be about biology within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question because it is off-topic for Biology, and instead should be posted at Pets. $\endgroup$ – MattDMo Jul 12 '16 at 23:39
  • $\begingroup$ Maggots typically eat dead/rotting flesh, not live. Maggot therapy is used in clinical settings in the US and around the world for debridement of necrotic wounds. $\endgroup$ – MattDMo Jul 12 '16 at 23:43
  • $\begingroup$ @MATTDMo reluctantly I can see your point. I feel it could be edited into a more general question about ingesting live larvae that would be on-topic for Biology though - OP, would you have any objection to that? $\endgroup$ – arboviral Jul 15 '16 at 8:07
  • $\begingroup$ @arboviral no objections, since i've got my answer. $\endgroup$ – Tegra Jul 16 '16 at 15:49
1
$\begingroup$

Although I am afraid I don't know much about fire salamanders specifically, it is certainly possible for ingested fly larvae (or larvae hatching from ingested eggs) to survive ingestion and subsequently cause intestinal damage. Parasitic infestation by fly larvae that grow inside the host while feeding on its tissue is called myiasis. Enteric myiasis (also called gastric, rectal, or intestinal myiasis to indicate the affected part of the digestive system) occurs occasionally in humans following the ingestion of cheese infested with cheese fly maggots. Casu marzu, a traditionally produced Sardinian cheese, is supposed to have live cheese fly maggots in it, and cases of bloody diarrhoea following its consumption are known. If they're dead the cheese is considered unsafe to eat (although personally I'd correct that to 'more unsafe').

$\endgroup$

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.