I thought it had a name along the lines of interlocular groove, but I haven't been able to find that term anywhere.

  • $\begingroup$ You probably mean the filament. ![enter image description here](i.sstatic.net/9zXCc.png) $\endgroup$ Commented Jul 15, 2016 at 19:06
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ There are two longitudinal ridges in a typical anther. An anther has two lobes each with two pollen sacs/thecae. So there is a groove both between the two lobes and also between the two thecae in one lobe. Having a look at the transverse section would help. Although I don't know what they are called, it would be better if you specify which of the two ridges you are refering to. $\endgroup$
    – Polisetty
    Commented Aug 19, 2016 at 13:32

2 Answers 2


I think what you are looking for is the connective. Anthers are usually two-lobed and connected by a band of sterile tissue that also connects the anther with the filament - therefore the name, I guess (see Wikipedia article for stamen). It says

Most commonly anthers are two-lobed and are attached to the filament either at the base or in the middle area of the anther. The sterile tissue between the lobes is called the connective.

Each anther lobe usually consists of two pollen sacs (see Wikipedia article for microsporangia). It says:

Each anther lobe develops two pollen sacs. Thus, a two-lobed anther develops four pollen sacs situated at four corners of the anther.

And further (accentuation by me)

The cells of endothecium possess fibrous thickenings. They remain thin-walled and constitute stomium (line of dehiscence) in the shallow groove in between the two microsporangia of the anther lobe.

This groove frequently is called by its orientation, i.e. longitudinal groove, even though I do not think this really is a well-defined technical term (but do a quick Google search for "longitudinal groove" anther and you will find several biology books using the term, e.g. this).


I think that you're talking either about the connective that separates two lobes of the anther, or the longitudinal groove that I think separates the two theca making it dithecous.

enter image description here

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Welcome to Biology.SE! Please take the tour and then consult the help pages for additional advice on How to Answer effectively on this site and then either delete or edit your answer accordingly. It isn't clear that this adds anything to the existing answer. In addition, answers are much more likely to receive a favorable response if you include supporting references (primary literature is best). Without that support, your answer is indistinguishable from opinion. Finally, if you include a figure you must document where it came from. Thanks! 😊 $\endgroup$
    – tyersome
    Commented Mar 23, 2020 at 18:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .