Can anyone tell me what the correct name is for a neutral mutation to a protein that occurs when that mutation becomes "locked in" due to a subsequent mutation?

For example: mutation A is neutral initially and can be reversed with no deleterious effects, but after mutation B, the reversal of mutation A would now become deleterious. What is the correct terminology for a mutation of A's type?

  • $\begingroup$ silent mutation? $\endgroup$ – Always Confused Sep 7 '16 at 9:07
  • $\begingroup$ Silent mutations are mutations in DNA that do not significantly alter the phenotype of the organism in which they occur. Silent mutations can occur in non-coding regions (outside of genes or within introns), or they may occur within exons. $\endgroup$ – com.prehensible Dec 7 '16 at 6:10
  • $\begingroup$ Well, what will happen is proceeding to fixation if A does, but I don't think that really answers your question. The answer could be here. $\endgroup$ – Anon Jan 6 '17 at 1:40

Mutation A is a suppressor of Mutation B. The Wikipedia article on the topic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor_mutation) mostly describes situations where Mutation A occurs after B and reverses B's deleterious effects, but the principle is the same.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.