I know what major (2.2 nm) and minor (1.2 nm) groves are, but what is then name for:

  • a 360-degree rotation of DNA (3.4 nm)

  • the gap between each base pair (0.34 nm)?


The term for distance covered in a 360° rotation of helix is known as the pitch of DNA helix, though there is no special name for distance covered between 2 base pairs. It can be called as rise per base pair of DNA. See the table below from this article:


Reference: Nucleic Acid Double Helix

  • $\begingroup$ 458 views :) wow ! $\endgroup$ – Lucas Dyson-Diaz Jan 5 '17 at 0:52

It turns out that the gap between (heterocyclic nitrogenous) base pairs is called 'adjacent base pair width'. Also, the pitch (10 base pairs long) is also known as 'one helical turn'. Just a bit of additional information...

  • $\begingroup$ it is (kind of) mandatory here to give some references to your answer (even if its on your own question) so that other readers can have a source for more information. $\endgroup$ – another 'Homo sapien' Jan 8 '17 at 17:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.