2
$\begingroup$

I found somewhere on the Internet that, if parents are both Rh-positive, their children have 93.75% chance of being RH-positive and 6.25% chance of being RH-negative.

My question is: How is this calculated?

$\endgroup$
5
$\begingroup$

There are four possible parental genotype combinations (R = Rh+ allele, r = Rh- allele):

m  f
RR RR
Rr RR
RR Rr
Rr Rr

Only the last can produce Rh- offspring. The probabilty that the Rr Rr combination leads to a rr genotype in the F1 generation is $1 \over 4$. Since there are four combinations, the probability that the Rh+ parents are Rh Rh is also $1\over4$. Thus the probability of the offspring to be Rh- is $${1\over 4} \cdot {1 \over 4} = {1 \over 16} = 0.0625$$ Thus, the probability of Rh+ in the F1 generation is $$1 - {1 \over 16} = {15 \over 16} = 0.9375$$

Note: This is the rationale behind the values you state in your question. I am pretty sure that these four combinations are not equally distributed in a population. You would have to need to know the allele frequencies.

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.