I see how large trees and weeds that are capable of splitting concrete, and realized that I have no idea what this phenomenon is officially called. Google was no help, suggesting root pressure, but that's an interior force for water and sugar transport, not what I was looking for. Is there a name for the act of plants growing through things like concrete and rocks on their own, independent of weathering?

  • $\begingroup$ Why do you think they are all that different? $\endgroup$ – Bryan Krause Sep 26 '17 at 1:23
  • $\begingroup$ a plant has the same pressure as 200m of water column in plumbing. that's about 10 times more pressure than a tap you can block with your thumb. it's called plants-popping-through-pavements or phytolithic perforation. $\endgroup$ – aliential Sep 26 '17 at 10:31

Turgor pressure is the force within the cell that pushes the plasma membrane against the cell wall.

It is also called hydrostatic pressure, the pressure measured by in fluid when at equilibrium.

It's term taught in biology class in school for plants that sag.

I saw a mushroom that had come through a new pavement once. it was cool.

pascal is the atmosphere at sea level:

enter image description here

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ The pressure inside phloem, the sap in a tree that rises, can be the same as trying to hold shut a hosepipe with your thumb, if the hosepipe water column is 200 meters high. that's why Sequoia trees are only efficient to about 110m high. $\endgroup$ – aliential Sep 26 '17 at 10:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.