1
$\begingroup$

What do we mean when we say that: Haemophilus influenza genome is 85% genic. How do we measure gene density in percentage, especially for the above-mentioned case?

$\endgroup$
0
1
$\begingroup$

It means that 85% of its genome is coded for proteins (ORFs). The other 15% not, so these can be regulatory elements, repeats, or other.

You can measure that by measuring the total length of all ORFs, and compare it with the total length of the genome.

$\endgroup$
0

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.