Is there a specific term for organisms that feed on micro-organisms?


Use "-vore" and "-vorous" suffix [L. -vorus devouring, eating (cf. vorāre to devour].

For example: bacteriovores, algaevores, and planktivores.

Note: "Microorganism" is an unfortunate, albeit popular (viz. "microbiology") term. How small is "micro"? So small that one needs a microscope to see it? And what kind of microscope: "light" or "electron"? i would drop the term "microorganism" altogether. One can use "bacteria, "archaea," "chromists," "protists," . . .

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.