I am doing a labproject with primary mouse nerve cultures (hippocampus and midbrain) and part of the experiments involve performing electrical field stimulation on these neurons.
For now we have decided on three different types of stimulation:
- 1 Hz for 20 sec (20 action potentials)
- 50 Hz for 2 sec (100 action potentials)
- 20 Hz for 2 sec (40 action potentials) which my promoter said was commonly used
I have been looking for (but not finding) other commonly stimulation protocols, especially those with physiological levels.
- Are the protocols I have chosen physiological or not (or under- or overstimulation) and why is this so? I assume neuronal subtype also might play a part in this.
- Are there other commonly accepted paradigms for electrical field stimulation of neurons?
- How can I stimulate my cells within physiological levels?
Any advice, explanation and or further references to find answers to these questions are appreciated!