Could anyone tell me what is this living being is called? I keep finding his relatives flying/crawling in my house once in a while since late Summer this year. We live in Auburn, WA, in case it helps narrowing down the list of who it can be...

Knowing the name will help me figuring out:

  • whether it's dangerous for my wife, or our infant;
  • how to get rid of it (I start suspecting they either breed inside the house, or somewhere very close because I only find these insects when it's getting warmer outside).

Sorry for the low quality of the photo. By the way, this animal is about 15mm or 5/8" long (not measuring the legs).

enter image description here enter image description here


It is a Halyomorpha halys, commonly known as a stink bug. Your photo shows a brown marmorated stink bug. More information can be found on this Wikipedia page.

enter image description here

As far as your two questions:

  • Stink bugs do not normally bite people and are not poisonous.

  • A good way of controlling them in your home is by sealing any openings that they are entering through.

Source: http://stinkbugsguide.net/facts.htm

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Wow! That was fast! Could you tell me how did you do that? Some kind of a book helped you, or you just 'happened to know'? $\endgroup$ – Igor Soloydenko Dec 29 '17 at 10:34
  • $\begingroup$ We see them all the time at our house-most commonly in autumn. I think it was my oldest child that knew what they are - I think he learned about them in school. My children like to catch them and let them go outside. $\endgroup$ – wanderweeer Dec 29 '17 at 10:44
  • $\begingroup$ I wish I knew a permanent solution to this problem. These buddies freak my wife out, and I'm not very comfortable with catching them... Still, many thanks, Kurt! $\endgroup$ – Igor Soloydenko Dec 29 '17 at 10:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.