I don't know if it is ethical to ask a question like that, but I would like to know every simple physical trait that I can observe on me, my parents and my siblings which are regulated by a single or really low number of genes. I don't want any disease-related traits, just simple traits that could illustrate genetic relatedness.
Already done search
During my research I've found about:
- Hair on the second phalanx which is controlled by a single gene and absence of hair being recessive. (Recessive means you need two copies of the allele to have the trait absence of hair!) So if both parents have the trait absence of hair (on second phalanx), every child must have it as well.
- Merged ear lob is also a recessive trait.
These are some for which I am not sure of the underlying genetics.
- Hair in V on the forehead
- Presence of dimples
- Able to make a U with tongue
- Able to detect Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC)
Don't hesitate to answer with references
EDIT: This site is saying that both hair in second phalanx and merged ear lobs are not as simple as they seemed...
Question: What trait can I use to illustrate genetics?