Is there a word that refer to homologous chromosomes within a polyploid species? If I have AABB species, what is A to B?

The words "homeolog" and "ohnolog" are reserved for the cases if the homologous chromosomes have diverged via speciation or whole genome duplication event. But what if we just don't know?

I hesitate to use word "homologous chromosomes" since they do not for a choromosome pair anymore, they are homologous in sense of an recent common chromosome ancestor.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I think homolog is as good a term as you'll get, though I'm certainly not an expert in this area. $\endgroup$ – canadianer Oct 24 '18 at 23:22
  • $\begingroup$ In the case of (A+A'+B+B'), A and A' are homologous chromosomes. In canonically sexual species, one is inherited from each parent. "Homeology" applies to chromosomes that are related by ancestral duplication, yet segregate independently at meiosis. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homologous_chromosome $\endgroup$ – J-- Oct 25 '18 at 15:25
  • $\begingroup$ @canadianer Hope is the last to die... @J It's the same with ohnologs - they are also expected to segregate independently at meiosis. However "homologous chromosomes" are quite tightly linked to meiosis. $\endgroup$ – Kamil S Jaron Oct 25 '18 at 15:28

Unfortunately, there is no such term. I at least compiled the relevant vocabulary

  • homoeolog/homeolog - homologous chromosomal sets in an organism diverged in isolated populations/subspecies and broght back by a hybridization event; note that the two spellings with exactly the same meaning are possible
  • ohnolog - homologous chromosomal sets originated from a whole-genome duplication (WGD) event; however usually this is used for ancient WGD events (like the R1 and R2 at the base of vertebrates, or the WGD at the base of bony fishes). It is not really possible to distinguish between WGD and hybridization in these ancient cases and therefome ohnologs perhaps suit "unknown" category better.
  • homologous chromosomes - chromosomes that pair during meiosis (does not strictly correspond to the homology in the context of molecular evolution)
  • homologous sequences/homologs - any sequences that have a common ancestor (as used in molecular evolution; but does not have to be on a genome-scale or within a genome; tandem duplicates or orthologs in two species are also homologous sequences)
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.