I’m currently writing the report of a study which looked at commercial soil inoculants (Rhizobium sp.). However, I’m confused about the differences between the words inoculum and inoculant and when to use which.


migrated from academia.stackexchange.com Apr 18 at 5:57

This question came from our site for academics and those enrolled in higher education.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ ask on english.stackexchange.com please $\endgroup$ – user48953094 Apr 17 at 23:58
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If the dictionary definitions do not tell you which one to use, I doubt anyone at english.se would know either. $\endgroup$ – Gerald Edgar Apr 18 at 0:13
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In my opinion, dictionary definitions are not helpful in this case as it is an idiomatic problem. Therefore I was hoping to get some information from people who are also using these words in academia. Inoculants are used in a variety of research fields, hence it is likely that I would find help here. $\endgroup$ – Ttam Apr 18 at 0:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is a question about the english language. $\endgroup$ – De Novo Apr 18 at 7:51
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @GeraldEdgar I disagree. There are a number of people over at english.se who write some excellent answers about usage, suffixes, and the like. I expect that's the best SE site for this question about when to use the direct latin ending inoculum, vs. the suffix -ant $\endgroup$ – De Novo Apr 18 at 7:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.