I am looking for the scientific term for the process where a male seahorse receives eggs from the female. For example, we usually say, "the male inseminates the female with sperm." What is the correct term to use for seahorses? Would you say "the female inseminates the male with eggs", or is another term more appropriate?


Short answer
I think that "egg deposition" by means of the female "ovipositor" seems the most commonly used terminology.

A cursory Google search yielded quite a few alternatives, ordered here from the most fancy to the least:

- Look et al., J Exp Biol (2007); 210: 432-7
- Masonjones & Lewis, Copeia 1996; (3): 634-40


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.