0
$\begingroup$

I was reading that humans and chimps share 98-99% of the same DNA sequence but I also read humans and chimps only share around 20% of the same proteins. Also, 45% of the human genome is transposable elements, It's 42% reverse transposons and 3% DNA transposons.

So, I wanted to know the difference between humans and chimps when it comes to transposable elements, especially reverse transposons.

Sources added:

Eighty percent of proteins are different between humans and chimpanzees. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15716009 and Retrotransposons - In mammals, almost half the genome (45% to 48%) is transposons or remnants of transposons. Around 42% of the human genome is made up of retrotransposons, while DNA transposons account for about 2–3%.[3] [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrotransposon]2

$\endgroup$
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Do you have a source for your numbers? $\endgroup$ – Chris Dec 18 '19 at 13:08
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Sorry, I didn't include the sources. Eighty percent of proteins are different between humans and chimpanzees. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15716009 and Retrotransposons - In mammals, almost half the genome (45% to 48%) is transposons or remnants of transposons. Around 42% of the human genome is made up of retrotransposons, while DNA transposons account for about 2–3%.[3] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrotransposon $\endgroup$ – Genetic Avatar Dec 18 '19 at 13:30
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Note, saying "humans and chimps only share around 20% of the same proteins" is not quite right, the source you cite actually says that only 20% of proteins are absolutely identical - the remaining 80% are very similar, but have slight differences (based on the 1-2% difference in DNA sequence) $\endgroup$ – Nicolai Dec 18 '19 at 15:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.