I'm looking for a term I can use in a software user interface that includes anything that may carry cell cultures or similar biological imaging samples (ie that may conceivably go into an automated microscope).

Since it's for a user interface, the term should be short and intuitive. It should not depend on context.


  • vessel, carrier, dish --- often used for what I mean, but not intuitive out of context.
  • cell culture carrier --- too long, also potentially too specific.
  • $\begingroup$ A flask or petri dish do not go into a microscope. Can you specify what you are exactly after? Are you after containers to grow cells? Or are you after plates to do repetitive stuff with cells (add substrate, coloring agents etc), or are you after carriers that go under a microscope? $\endgroup$ – AliceD May 26 at 9:43
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @AliceD: anything you might grow cells in, potentially adding reagents, potentially fixate, and then image, for example these plates. And yes, we do image cultures in flasks like this one $\endgroup$ – Johannes Bauer May 26 at 10:04
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the clarification. I left the field some 20 years ago, so I'll not even bother trying to answer this question, but it may help others to answer your Q. Good luck programming! $\endgroup$ – AliceD May 26 at 11:19
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ This sort of question is not really about biology. It may be a better fit for English Language & Usage with the tag “technical” (or the like). There are technical people there who delight in this sort of thing (as well as people who know nothing about the subject but can’t stop themselves answering every question in a comment). $\endgroup$ – David May 26 at 19:06
  • $\begingroup$ @AliceD No problem. Just a suggestion, anyway. $\endgroup$ – David May 26 at 19:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.