I'm a research post-doc working in a US-based microbiology research lab. We still use a relatively low-concentration bleach solution to decontaminate most liquid cultures before disposing of them, but most of our surface and equipment decontamination is accomplished with alcohol (either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (IPA)). We do work with some organisms that are not effectively killed by alcohol, such as C. difficile. C. difficile makes endospores which are very resistant to alcohol-based agents, but they are readily killed by bleach.
So after working with C. diff and other spore-forming bacteria we decontaminate with commercial wipes containing a stabilized sodium hypochlorite solution at a little less than 1%, which isn't even enough to give off a strong bleach odor. On metallic surfaces and some kinds of rubber, we follow up with an alcohol wipe to prevent corrosion from the bleach.
We do have other sporicidal agents that are used for specific applications where bleach isn't suitable, but most of them are much more harsh (requiring use of respirators), require a longer contact time, and have a substantially shorter shelf life at the effective concentration (sometimes just days or hours, vs. months with bleach).
Bleach is also good for destroying DNA and RNA in clean areas used for PCR setup, but there are some commercial products specifically designed to do this along inactivating nucleases that might degrade a sample, so I personally use those products. (Note that ethanol and IPA solutions can actually precipitate nucleic acids, leaving them behind after the solution evaporates.)