The technique of using microscopes to view objects that are otherwise too small to be easily seen by the naked eye.
What questions should have this tag?
- Questions related to principles of microscopy (not extending too much in the field of optics)
- Sample preparation for microscopy
- Technical queries regarding instrument settings
- Analysis of microscopic image data
Some basic definitions
- Magnification: Ratio of the size of the image and the actual size of the object
- Focus: Actual or imaginary point of convergence of the rays refracted through the lens
- Numerical Aperture: The ability of an optical system to gather light and resolve two closely spaced objects. Defined by: NA = n*sinθ [where n is the refractive index of light and θ is the half-angle of the light cone formed between the object and the lens]
- Excitation and Emission (with respect to fluorescence microscopy): The wavelength of light absorbed or emitted by the major fluorophore, respectively.
- Quantum yield: Ratio of number of photons absorbed and number of photons emitted by a fluorophore