My friend got stung by a stingray yesterday and the lifeguard quickly stuck her foot into hot water (she said the water burned slightly on contact) and remarkably, she was walking without pain in a hour. I have heard that rattlesnake's bites can be helped by applying heat to denature the proteins. I am assuming this is what happened here, please correct if wrong. Because I am often in areas where immediate help in cases of animal bites/stings is not available, this is important to me as a first response as I get the person to help.
- What kinds of venom are susceptible to denaturing by heat? How do I know which the previous categories a given venom falls into?
- Is there a rough temperature I should aim for to denature the venom?
- How likely is it that I would end up doing more harm by applying heat out of ignorance than doing nothing till I get to help (could be a day or more depending on the location)?