I saw a bug swimming through my carpet, and promptly squished it. I had never seen this kind of bug before, and wanted to find out what it is, so that I can assess it's danger to my house and family, and know how to responsibly take care of it. However, my dog gobbled it up before I could take a photograph, so all I have to go by is a mental image:
- 1.5-2.5 inches long (3-6cm)
- 2-3 segmented body, with a smaller head, and over 3/4 of it's length was the back segment
- Mandibles/Pincers at one end of the body (I can't remember which)
- I think it only had 6 or so legs.
- The dog made a disgruntled face when she ate it, so I think it could have tasted badly, or bit/stung her tongue as she ate it.
- I believe it was two colors, with a pale colored section and a reddish-brown section, although I can't remember their locations.
I live in the Northwestern US, and have three trees on my lot: two maples and a boxelder. The house was built in 1954 and has a crawlspace foundation.