What is the name of the machine used to measure optical density? We used it in a lab but I can't remember what they called it.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ densitometer? turbidometer? spectrometer? spectrophotometer? There are many such devices and some details on the type of experiment may help here. $\endgroup$ – AliceD Mar 4 '15 at 4:17
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Hmm I think it was the spectrometer. That sounds right. We where measuring the growth of cell cultures. $\endgroup$ – Delimit04 Mar 4 '15 at 4:51
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ I'd bet the farm that it's a spectrophotometer. $\endgroup$ – canadianer Mar 4 '15 at 8:22

Optical Density is synonymous with absorbance which is based on the principle of absorption of light. The machine that is used to measure absorbance is called a spectrophotometer. Spectrometer does not indicate that light absorbance is being measured. A spectrometer can measure any spectrum; for e.g. Mass Spectrometer measures the spectrum of molecular mass (to be precice mass per charge).

Cell density can be also measured by the level of light scattering; turbidimeters or nephelometers are used for these kind of measurements.

PS: You should pay more attention in your class :P

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Also called a spec, for short. $\endgroup$ – rhill45 Mar 6 '15 at 1:05
  • $\begingroup$ When you use a spectrophotometer to measure culture density you are actually measuring turbidity/light scattering, not absorbance. $\endgroup$ – Alan Boyd May 16 '17 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.