I'm writing a thesis in biology and my supervisor asked me to find literature about beetles living under rocks - specifically she wants me to find something about hypolithial diversity. However Google doesn't even recognize the word 'hypolithial' so I'm kind of stranded without any references on where to start searching.

I know that hypo lithia comes from ancient greek and means below stones, but nobody mentioned it like that in the literature.

Has anybody heard of this term or knows a similar one which I could use for my research?


Google for sublithic or hypolithic.

You'll find lots of things like (https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-3-642-11274-4_767) with further references and links


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.